Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Grown up moment

So, recently I have been put in a kind of weird situation-I don't want to get into it too much, but basically one of my friend's spouses has put me in the middle of a very private battle between the two of them. First, I live thousands of miles away from this friend, so I'm not quite sure why their spouse feels the need to involve me. I talk to this friend maybe 4-5 times a year-birthdays, holidays, and the random check in. But their spouse has been sending some pretty harsh emails, and quite frankly, not something an outsider like me should be receiving. I'm not going to pass judgement, there are 3 sides to every story, but honestly, I just don't want to be in the middle, and shouldn't be for that matter.

As I was talking it over with Al, it was another "wow, we really are adults" moment, when you realize that the people getting separated and divorced or having marital problems are no longer our parents' friends, but are our friends. Sometimes I wish I could reach out to college kids who get engaged right away and say, do you realize what "I do" really means? It's not just having the dream wedding (albeit, that part is nice), it's so much more-it's retirement accounts, wills, family obligations, sickness, health, adventure, extreme happiness, moments of discontent all wrapped into one. So, wait. Breathe. Enjoy life, learn who you are before settling into something that may or may not fit you. See the forest through the trees.

No comments: