Friday, May 27, 2005

Ponderings of the day.

A few weeks ago, I was having lunch with Mags, and I blurted out "well, whatever, I guess it wasn't meant to be--everything always happens for a reason."

Mags and I discussed this--as she had said the same thing to our friend Lizzie a few nights prior. Her husband, who I guess overheard said something like, "men so don't go by that philosophy, if something doesn't work out, shit happens, we don't agonize if it was meant to be or not. And if it works out, we just got lucky."

This got me thinking.....do things happen for a reason, or is that a nice fall-back excuse that women like to give to themselves when things aren't working out?

If you don't get a follow-up date with a guy--it wasn't meant to be. If the job interview doesn't work out-wasn't meant to be. Is Fate really working in our favor, or is it just something we tell ourselves so that the sting doesn't hurt quite so much?

While I'm not sure if things do or don't happen because they are or aren't meant to be, I do think things happen for a reason. This is basic science--where there is a cause, there is an effect.

I honestly believe I met Al as a cause and effect. I was supposed to go see my ex-boyfriend that weekend (who I was still seeing--although I believe he was seeing someone else at this point, so who really knows). I got in a fight with my ex, and my friend Shannon (who was in town visiting) had made plans to go with Michelle to Kings Dominion with some of Michelle's coworkers Clay and Jerry, and Clay's roomate---who turned out to be Al. Since I was down in the dumps that my plans to see the ex fell through, I got invited along for the day with Shannon and Michelle--which is when I met Al. I literally called my mom the next day and told her I met the man I was going to marry....of course, we didn't start dating until 2 1/2 year later, but I digress. Who's to say that if I had met Al at ANY other time, that I would've given him the same attention, and thought of him as a possibility?

Anyway...those are my philosophical thoughts today.

Let me know yours.

No comments: