Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Long Weekends

Ahhhh. I just love long weekends. I sometimes wish that America had more of the European mentality--more holidays, and more vacation time allowed AND encouraged. I think my batteries would recharge much more if I had more long weekends....

This past weekend was just relaxing. Al and I ended up staying in DC--which I've never done for Memorial Day. We typically go out of town, but this year, we stayed around. My parents were supposed to come into town, but my grandma's (mom's mom) blood pressure was up, and she had to go to the hospital--so they weren't able to make it. Grandma is out of the hospital now, and back at home.

And, I have to say, I loved being DC over the long weekend--not too many people are here, and it feels like you have the whole city to yourself.

This was a totally Natalie Portman weekend. On Friday, I biked on up to Adams Morgan, and rented Garden State (which I really enjoyed, and have to give major kudos to Zach Braff for writing, directing and starring in it. 2 thumbs up.) and Star Wars 2, so that we mentally prepare ourselves to see Star Wars 3. I had forgotten how cheesy that movie is. And, while Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor are nice to look at, the dialogue is overly simplistic, and the love story is just so painfully annoying.

On Saturday, my other grandma (Dad's mom) was in town for a wedding, so I met up with her, brought her over to the house, and had lunch with her, Al and David. I love my grandma, but I swear, sometimes I just don't know where on earth she came from. In some ways, she's the typical Jewish grandma--she loves to worry, and has the guilt thing down. But, mostly, her social graces are so left field, I just spend most of my time visiting with her wondering how my dad turned out so normal.

She complimented my brother on a having a steady job, and supporting himself, and complimented me on having a husband who supports me. I was like...um, I DO have a job, and a house, and do pretty well on my own. I hesitated to remind her that she also had a job when she was married....

After lunch, I showed grandma the neighborhood, and of course, ran into a neighbor, who she asked how much he had paid for his house. I should have take that bet with my brother. I totally would have bet under 3 hours before she asked about the cost of houses in the neighborhood. Damn.

In the evening, I had a hankering for Pasta Mia (I've missed it so), so Al and I walked to Adams Morgan, only to find it closed. Damn it...I swear that guy only closes it when I want to go, this is the 3rd time it's happened to me.

We opted for a cute little Indian restaurant with seats outside. I got a samosa and some sort of spinach/cheese concoction that was good, but really filling. I think that the waiter was insulted I didn't eat more. I loved sitting outside, and people watching. The HOGS were in town this weekend, lining their bikes up and down the street, and meeting at the various bars.

Oh, I love Adams Morgan, mostly because it always makes me think of hanging out with Betsy and Diana. I totally miss going out and dancing, and going to the Common Share, for my $2 shots before going to Heaven and Hell for 80's night. Now, I'm more of a martini or wine girl if I get a drink...and I'm a total vodka snob...so that make me uber sophisticated?

On Sunday, we ran around town--doing the things we never seem to have time to do, and found that the people at Lowes are the biggest morons in the world. I never thought I'd say this, but I like Home Depot better--but even more than that...I'm loving the little local hardware stores, because the people there know their stuff, and the boys are cute.

Sunday night, biked on over to see a late night showing of Star Wars in Chinatown. Far better than the first 2 combined.

Monday--just did work around the house. We are starting to go into kitchen renovation mode, so I'm sure I'll be complaining about that soon.

That was my weekend. Next on the blog: 25 things I want to do in my lifetime.



Funny....

2 comments:

jodie.goldberg said...

Definitely! You are invited any time, and we'll give the grand tour of dc....

Anonymous said...

i crave pasta mia at least once a month. although i don't miss the stale beer-stained couches at common share, you couldn't beat the $2 beer and shots to loosen up the limbs and feet.

i'll take a dive bar anyday!