Monday, May 23, 2005

Bookends

Long ago it must be, I have a photograph....preserve your memories, they're all that's left you” -Simon & Garfunkel, Bookends

My best friend Maggie just got married this past weekend. I was the matron of honor, and it was truly a beautiful wedding--and my first outdoor wedding too!

Leading up to the wedding.....Friday night, there was a rehearsal dinner at Alexander's in Roanoke. Andy's brother Chris, and sister Margaret "Julianne" Moore put together a film documenting the life of Andy and Maggie. Of course, yours truly got all weepy during the movie--I can't help it, I've known Maggie since I was 2, and she's the closest thing I have to a sister, so it got me a little choked up--it's the end of an era, and the beginning of another. Goodbye to those little girls with pigtails...and hello to new adventures...being wives, owning homes, growing up. I can only hope was have many more years of memories down the road.

Afterwards, the crew headed to Awful Arthurs, which lived up to it's name. I swear, doesn't Roanoke have any decent bars??? And no, Corned Beef & Co does NOT count....I only frequent there because I know I'll run into someone I know.

Saturday, we went to the salon--gossiped about celebs while having our hair done. Then, off to the Meyer house to get ready. The ceremony was lovely, and I maintained the standing position, which was a great success.

The weather held out--and the sun shined down for the ceremony and reception. Durring dinner, the groomsmen went in search of the buried Maker's Mark to toast the weather gods for making it such a beautiful day.

Dinner included shrimp and grits--my personal favorite! Yum. After dinner--we did toasts, and I actually made it through WITHOUT crying. Thank you very much. Then..the band got up to play, and congratulated "Maggie and JOE, and their new marriage". I'm not sure who this Joe character is, but the band kept congratulating him and Maggie all night long. The funniest thing is, Andy was the one who had HIRED the band!

Several drinks later, the bridemaids rallied, and took our show on the road, and got up on stage to sing Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. Johnny must have turned in his grave, it was so out of tune...

It was a momentous weekend, so here's to you Maggie and Joe, may you have many years of happiness......

No comments: