Monday, September 25, 2006

Ringin' in the new year

It was the start of Jewish new year this weekend...happy 5767! Everybody Wang Chung tonight!

I am totally a high holidays Jew, I go to synangogue just about twice a year-for the high holidays, and sometimes I toss one in for good measure and just to make sure I'm inscribed in the Book of Life and all, but usually, I'm a two-for-one type of gal. Don't get me wrong, I love being Jewish, and I do the whole Hannukah and Passover hullabulloo, but for hitting services, right now, I'm just at the bare minimum.

Even so, I love the holidays. They are super relaxing to me, and the older I get, the more I look forward to them. I just love the few hours of sitting in service and having some quality reflection time, and just mindlessly humming the different prayers. And, even more so, I am so SO in love with the food around Jewish holidays. This year, we kicked off our holidays nicely. I made a potato and cheddar soup on Friday, and afterwards, we met up with my friend Bill for a coffee break, which was nice. On Saturday, after I hit services our friend Miriam had us over, and I swear, I almost burst into tears just thinking about the spread. It's just nice to know that no matter whose house you go to, they all have the same tradition, the same food, the same comforts you remember from being little. Following Mir's, we went to our friend Paul and Erika's for a nice end to the evening.

But, I'm excited to say one of the MOST exciting things from this weekend is that I made a pillow! Yes, as part of the quilting goal, I started with a pillow. Our friend Missy had us over for a stitch and bitch, and she totally helped me become a quilting diva--okay, well, not quite to that extent, but did I mention I made a damn pillow?

As for Al, 2 more weeks of being wired shut. Still a long road. And people still suck. Jaw surgery is not fun, so I can't imagine why people thing it is okay to say mean comments to Al about not being able to understand him, etc. Those people seriously need to get some manners, and should ask their mom's why they were brought up with poor ones. And, I can say that because I'm going to totally atone for it while I'm fasting next Sunday for Jewish high holiday round 2, Yom Kippur.

No comments: