Tuesday, July 12, 2005

A rose by any other name...

I start the new job tomorrow!! I'm a bit nervous, but I feel like I've started so many new jobs, I should be an old pro.

We tried to have a pretty relaxing, low key weekend. On Saturday, I went to my cousin Debra's to catch up with her, and play with her sons Evan (5) and Jared (2) at the pool. Jared was so adorable, but couldn't quite grasp my name, so for the entire day I was Josie. Josie this and Josie that. But, he was pretty easy to please, and laughed at everything I did, so I found Josie agreeable since I was so gosh darn funny.

I know it's well known that people love hearing their name...but I realized that people do not like hearing their name butchered...2 year olds okay, other people not so much. My contractor--calls me Judy. Al's friend Zach, prefers Joanie. Beyond that, I found that I also get irritated when people call me by my nicknames when they don't know me very well. Some friends call me Jodes, Jode, Schwarzy, Schwarzy-Goldberg. But, not just anyone can use my nicknames. I don't know the suitable amount of time that I mustg know someone before they can call me a nickname, but I'd say long enough for me to feel comfortable with a nickname.

Okay, now that I've obsessed over that, the eating out thing has grown tiresome. Saturday, our friend Kristin had us over for a cookout, and Sunday, we met up with Luke and Stacey for falafel in Adam's Morgan. Al and I tried to go to Pasta Mia again last week--and again that guy is closed--this time until July 19. I give up. Tonight, we go to Katie and Matt's house for fajitas.

Wish me luck on the new job tomorrow.

-Joanie

No comments: