Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Day #3 without a kitchen

On Saturday, July 2, we embarked on Kitchen Renovation. We knocked down, we destroyed, we disassembled. We now have no cabinets, no countertop, no running water in the kitchen, and after today, will have no appliances. It's already day 3 and I'm sick of having no kitchen.

We'll be eating out a lot--so I'll try to blog about what we're hitting. It'll be like a supersize me experiment--how much weight can I gain from Kitchen being renovated?

It took Al, David (my brother) and I about 5 hours to take everything down, and about another hour to clean up. I was smart enough to think ahead though, and scheduled Al and I for massages on Sunday. While it felt amazing at the time, my neck is now majorily sore. I thought massages were suppoed to loosen you up, but my neck hurt so much last night, that I had to go to sleep just to stop it from hurting so much.

After our massages, we went to our friend Brandeis' for a pool party and BBQ. Brandeis had invited Matt, Katie, PW, and about 30 girls and maybe 3 guys from the Thompson Boat House Rowing team. (Al used to do crew, and a lot of his friends still coach or are involved).

I had a totally "I'm Old!" moment while hanging out with these 20-year olds. The kids--not so bright these days. If you stand by a pool, at a pool party, you are going to be thrown in. No exception....unless you are of course me, and not 20, then the guys actually listen to you when you say, "don't throw me in!" It helps, I found, if you have a Coach bag on hand as well.

I didn't end up getting in the pool, or getting thrown in. Al got thrown in, and threw some girl in--in her white t-shirt and jeans. She kept saying how pissed she was, but then she stayed in the water for about an hour....so guess she couldn't have been that pissed.

Last night, we tried so desperately to find food--we literally tried 5 restaurants and a sketchy bbq joint, but to no avail....everyone was closing early for the 4th. We finally grabbed a hot dog and fries at Ben's Chili Bowl and walked up the hill to see the fireworks---we have this huge hill right up the street from where we live, and you can see the fireworks not only on the National Mall, but shooting off over all of DC--Capital Hill, Alexandria, Dupont Circle, etc. Alot of people were their from our neighborhood who we knew--guess we weren't the only ones with that good idea!

More to come on Kitchen Renovation, and stay tuned for places we are going. And if you have a kitchen, invite us over, we'll even cook for YOU!

No comments: