Saturday, July 30, 2005

Life Happens

Sorry I've been so slack in writing...ever have a time in your life, where nothing in particular is keeping you busy, but you are just busy letting life happen around you, and you get so wrapped up into daily conundrums that you kind of forget to connect to people outside your immediate daily sphere? I call that "Life Happens", and that's where things have been lately.

As for the kitchen project..still going, albeit it with a lot of problems. Tao (cabinet maker/thai restaurant owner) decided to build the cabinets about 6 inches shorter than what was in our contract, and installed them in our house. When we came home, I was in tears...I couldn't even reach the bottom shelf of the cabinets because they were shorter than what they should have been. We had to call him, and have him revise to our specifications. So, that puts us behind by at least a week.

And, the countertops were also cut wrong, and had to be redone, but they are finally ready, and have been installed, and our appliances are plugged in..so even though we're still using paper plates, and don't have all the cabinets installed, we've been able to cook a little bit at home (although we have to eat standing, since we don't have anywhere to sit--all of our furniture is covered in plastic right now).

Aside from the kitchen project...work is great. I'm really happy, and I feel really at home. I feel as though I know enough about environment, fundraising, and database to get by and be successful, but feel like it's a challenge since I don't know about grant or foundations. I feel that everyone is really genuine, and really easy to connect with...which is what I was definitely looking for.

And for the past few weekends Al, David, and I went to Roanoke last weekend to surprise my mom for her birthday--it was fun to be with my family and get away from the kitchen for a little while. I went with my mom to a jazzercise class, and ended up really liking it--I was a total klutz, and fell all over myself, but I works up a serious sweat...which I needed after eating out so much! We also went to see Wedding Crashers, and I would just like to profess my love for Vince Vaughn. Adorable.

Last night, we had an anti-shower for friends Matt and Katie, who are having a baby any day now. They didn't really want a big shower or anything, so we just had everyone meet up for crabs at the Bethesda Crab House (a favorite of mine for crabs). We did the 2 hour all you can eat, which was fun, but I felt so gross afterwards...we were covered in Old Bay seasoning.

That's about it here, but thanks for being patient for me to blog. In the immortal words of John Lennon, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

No comments: