Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Biker Chick



Posted by Hello

Last week was so much fun, but such a blur!

I FINALLY got a bike...a belated birthday present from Al (and yes, my birthday is in September, but in his defense, he bought me a wetsuit for Hannukah, so I can't be too upset!!!).
The last time I rode a bike was in Germany, which was a few years ago, so it's been awhile. And, I had many beers in me at the time, so I wasn't too aware of my surroundings.

So, when shopping for this bike, I felt like a complete ditz. The poor guy at REI kept grabbing bike after bike for me. No, too big; no, not girly enough; no the handlebars are weird...

Finally, as the sales associate was at about his wits end, a light went off in his head, and he went in back to grab the most perfect of perfect bikes for me. It's a total teenager's bike, with flowers on it and everything. I LOVE IT! I just need a bell and I'm all set, ding ding!


As for the rest of the week.....Wednesday night, I invited friends to a happy hour at Hotel Helix. My friend Betsy had introduced me to Helix awhile back, and with the weather so nice out, I couldn't resist having a happy hour on the deck. About 8 people ended up coming, most of whom are friends who I've known since I was 2 years old, but haven't seen in forever. Mags and I bagged work early to grab some seats outside, and Mags was already a little tipsy from a happy hour at work. By the time everyone got there, Mags and I were already a good bit ahead of everyone, but it was all in good fun.

Thursday, Al and I got invited to a wine tasting at the Charlie Palmer's restaurant on Capitol Hill, which was another Style magazine event. There were small apps being passed, and 2 white wines, and 3 reds for tasting. The wines (I could only have the whites), and apps were delicious, and it was a fun way to spend the evening, and check out a new DC restaurant.

Friday, my mom was in town--she and Sam's mom, Eileen were hosting a shower for Mags on Saturday. Some of Al's friends were also in town for their alumni duties at the GW Crew Invitational. Mom and I had a nice dinner out, and enjoyed catching up (Dad was home due to last stretch of tax season). And, at 3 am, I was awoken by my wonderful hubby stumbling into bed, and again 2 hours later when he got up to head to the crew races.

Saturday, was BEAUTIFUL out. Maggie's shower was fun. There were about 12 people that ended up coming, and it was a nice luncheon. Afterwards, my mom and I headed down to the water and met up with David, and Ilona to watch the remainder of the raises. We got some seats at the bar Sequioa's, which has a patio right on the Potomac river, grabbed some beer, and enjoyed a lovely afternoon. Got to catch up with a lot of people I haven't seen in a few months, and enjoyed the day. Can't beat it.

Sunday, after brunch, I took my bike for a spin. I've never biked in a city before, but I love it. It's so much fun! I'm going to try taking it to work tomorrow, and I'm kind of nervous, but I have a helmet, and I'm going to try to go a little early so I can be careful of cars. I'm not the most graceful person in the world.

What do you think, am I biker-chic material???

3 comments:

jodie.goldberg said...

I'm allergic. :-( I love it, and drink it sometimes, but I have to be ready for the consequences. It bites.

Anonymous said...

I saw Jodie on her bike tonight and she was very chic. Actually, it was a unicycle and she had a parrot on her shoulder and the parrot was talking on a cell phone like it was no big deal!

Anonymous said...

next stop: Harley