Thursday, June 01, 2006

It's the freakin' weekend baby...


I love Memorial Day. After a long stretch of no long holidays since February, nothin' says lovin' like a long weekend.

And this one was done in style--my friends Betsy and Diana (who I used to work at TNC with), Diana's friend Shannon, and Katherine all came to town for a girls weekend. Al went to CT for some family obligations, so it was just us ladies for the weekend.

Saturday, was up bright and early to pick up D and Shannon from the airport-and we basically started drinking soon thereafter. The initial plan was to hit a winery, but it looked like rain, so we hunkered down for some brunch along with Betsy and her friend Chas. Before I knew it, the bloody marys were being far too kind to me, and so-we decided not to get in a car and drive, but to just keep on drinkin. And, we did. On to Dupont, then to Sequioa's by the Potomac. Went home for a quick cat nap, and did it all again in the evening.

We hit Raku for dinner, and then got our groove on at the Black Cat. Al and I went dancing in NYC, but aside from that, I haven't been dancing in a wicked long time, so I let my hair down, and hit the dance floor so hard that my feet felt on fire later that night. We had a total blast drinking, dancing, and after that, grabbing a quick bite at Ben's before tucking in at 4 am.

Slept in, got up and hit Eastern Market after I made the ladies a super-easy-cheesy hungover breakfast. After Eastern Market, we headed to Georgetown-for you guessed it-more eating and drinking. Met up with some friends that I hadn't seen in literally about 4 years or so, so that was cool. Nice catching up, and hanging out by the water. Another late night-getting home at lord knows when.

Got up early the next day for our Memorial Day cookout. Al was coming back in town, and I wanted to do something special for the girls, so we had a big Mem Day bbq, complete with ribs, chicken, potato salad, deviled eggs, coleslaw, cornbread, rice crispy treats, cookies (from our totally awesome friends Erika and Paul) and the total fun ending of cotton candy! FUN! Al and I basically cooked all day, so no rest for the weary.

The bbq was a success, at some point we counted about 40 people-which includes Al's buddy Joe from Jury Duty, who took it upon himself to invite 5 of his friends without asking first. If he had just asked, no biggie, but he didn't, and he and his friends proceeded to stand in front of our buffet table warding off anyone else who wanted a rib, or a deviled egg. Whatever-I just found that so annoying-I don't mind meeting new people, but just ask for crying out loud.

It was a fun weekend-and nice to have some girl's time, but I'm so tired. I guess I'm not the dancing queen I thought I could be. That's okay, I'm quite content to go back to being a bit more low key-that's what makes it much more fun to be wild every blue moon. But for now, chill nights and wine over dinner are the way of life for me.

Check out our weekend pics if you'd like: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcNGTZs3ZOGGK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To clarify, I was not "dancing" in NYC. It was more like staggering, which may or may not have coincided with the rhythm of very loud music, in a bar that hosted other drunks that were doing much of the same. I do, however, admit to singing along with Bon Jovi - loudly and shamelessly.