Monday, June 12, 2006

Shhh...it's a secret

Maybe you've heard of PostSecret, maybe you haven't. Either way, I truly think it's a fascinating idea.

It all started with an idea Frank Warren had for a community art project. He started handing out postcards to strangers, asking them to write down a secret that they have never told anyone and mail it to him anonymously. Astounded by the results, and the amount of people who have secrets, and the caliber of secrets that were being shared, Frank put together a collection of these postcards into a book called PostSecret.

I have to confess that I don't actually own the book, but I do check the website, where he posts new postcards once a week (www.postsecret.blogspot.com). It feels a bit voyeuristic, but I have to admit that it gives me some comfort to know that everyone has secrets--no matter how big or small, and that they have a creative outlet to let their secret go.

I often think about what would my secret be if I submitted one? I'm a pretty open person, but I think everyone has a secret to keep--whether it be a fear, or something you think about yourself, or a confession of something silly that you did when you were little, but that you just can't quite forgive yourself for...or maybe even a secret wish...anything.

What would yours be? Think about it.

No comments: