Thursday, September 07, 2006

20 days to 30

The countdown begins. In 20 days, I'll be leaving my 20's behind and heading into my 30's. Everyone SWEARS 30 is so great and that they love it....and to be honest, I was looking forward to it, but now I'm kind of dreading it. I guess it's because I have been feeling old this past month, and I hate feeling old-especially when I'm typically very young at heart.

While I'm hesitant to enter the 30-zone, I'm excited to wave goodbye to 20's. It was an interesting decade, and I learned alot, but I feel more like a grown up now. 20 was all about struggling to find out who I was and define my future, and now I feel like I'm actually content, and just enjoying life (with the exception of nursing a hubby through surgery rehab).

Looking back, it's been quite a ride....I moved from small town to big city, I started my career path towards marketing/fundraising/environmental work---which got a bit off track along the way, I met my husband and FINALLY had the courage to ditch my ex (after he broke up with me about a hundred times, it was empowering that the last zinger was done by yours truly), got my belly button pierced, learned to scuba dive, bought a house, travelled to some of the most amazing places in the world, ate at some of the most amazing restaurants, got to experience wonderful amount of cultural events, and met some of my most favorite people in the world (Ilona, Sylvie and Jarrod, Simon, Betsy, Diana, Colleen, Erika and Paul, Miriam and James, Booth and Wayne, Kristen and Jerrold, Shali, Missy, Kristin and Jeff, Matt and Katie, Clay and Nicole, Anne, and Summer). (sorry if I forgot anyone!) And got BACK in touch with some of my most favorite people in the world (too big of a list, but you know who you are).

Twenties were also rough-had a few jobs and bosses I hated, lived through a terrorist attack, totalled a car, had to go through a rough ending with the ex, and lost a few good friends along the way...but, mainly, it's been quite the journey, and I guess it's time to start the next chapter.

So 20 more days of 20's....and then, we'll see what life has in store for me next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was really looking forward to turning thirty -- the greater respect you receive and the deference given to your life experience especially appealed to me. But something snapped about a week before the big day, and ... I never recovered. Thirty makes you assess where you are and what you've accomplished (as you've done in your post), and I was fine with that. But thirty also makes you suddenly very aware of the passing of time -- just how quickly it's flying by and the fact that it's limited. You suddenly become aware of all the things you want to do and the harried pace at which you'd have to live to accomplish them all before time runs out. That's what got me. I've been having panic attacks ever since that realization hit me ... I keep thinking, "There just isn't enough time, I need more time!" I hope that you cope MUCH better than me. :(